About the scholarship:
LAS International Programs provide LAS Virtual Global Experience scholarships for LAS students who plan to engage in professional development through any of the virtual programs
offered through Illinois. The LAS Virtual Global Experiences Scholarship helps to off-set the cost of virtual international experiences such as internships, research, and project-based work that are globally focused. All LAS students applying for VGE are encouraged to apply for this scholarship.
Generally, students are awarded between $750 to $1,000. Awards are determined based on the cost, length of the program, and availability of funds.
Student eligibility requirements:
Scholarship application components:
- Students must be an undergraduate, in good academic standing, and enrolled full-time in the College of LAS at the time of application and during the term, the scholarship is awarded
Scholarship award requirements:
- Short essay questions, outlining professional development goals
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member or academic advisor
Students must complete the below requirements to remain in good standing and keep their LAS VGE scholarship.
Prior to the program:
- Attend all required orientation meetings
- Register as a full-time student
Upon completing the program:
- Maintain participation in LAS 199 and fulfill all course requirements
- Demonstrating progress in research, project, or internship
- Attending regular check-in meetings with the program director and/or staff
- Complete LAS VGE Evaluation
- Share your experience in one of the following ways:
- Create a social media post or video, or
- Write a short essay (500 to 750 words) on the topic of working in a multicultural team, cross-cultural communication, or professional development.
- Create a Professional Profile for LAS IP to share on our website, flyers, and other materials. The profile must include the following:
- Your name, major field of study
- Virtual Global Experience program, organization or company, city and country
- A professional photo or photo of you working virtually
- Two quotes (one to three sentences each) about your experience, covering you learned about yourself, and your host organization or company, how this professional experience will influence your future career plans/goals
Deadline to complete scholarship requirements:
- Spring semester program: May 30th
- Summer term program: August 30th
- Fall semester program: December 30th
Upload materials to your Study Abroad Application Portal by 11:59 p.m. on the deadline.