The Illinois renewable energy PIRE project is a 2 month paid undergraduate research internship at Kyushu University (KU) in Japan. The goal of the x-FU(s)ION international research internship is to increase students' awareness, exposure and motivation about renewable energy research and provide students with a unique global workforce experience. All award recipients are required to present the results of their project (as a poster presentation) at the PIRE annual meeting as well as contribute to the PIRE outreach program.
ELIGIBILITYStudents must meet the following criteria:
- must be at least of sophomore standing and demonstrate interest in energy research
- must demonstrate scholastic excellence
- must be a student in good standing with your college
- US Citizenship is required.
The internship provides an award that includes the following for a 2 month (June 4th to August 3rd) summer internship.
- $4000 summer stipend
- Room and Board
- Rountrip Airfare between USA and Japan
- Health Insurance
- Culture and language orientation
The internship will be conducted in English.
LAS 291/292 Orientation Course
All accepted students must participate in various orientation meetings and enroll in an 8-week orientation course, LAS 291/292.
HOUSINGAccommodation is TBD, typically dormitory rooms.
For the costs associated with this program, please scroll to the top of this page and find the box labeled “Budget Sheets” and click on the term during which you want to participate.
Financial aid can be applied to the cost of the program. The applicable amount depends on your financial aid package. For information, please visit https://www.osfa.illinois.edu/process/study-abroad or email email@example.com.
- IPENG Travel Fellowship (including ABE and ChemE students)
- Illinois for Illinois (I4I) & additional Campus Scholarships
HOW TO APPLYThe University of Illinois Study Abroad Office Application:
- Click the Apply Now button at the top-right of this page to apply. You may only apply to one program per term. Log in with your UIUC netid and password. Once you start the application you will be charged a non-refundable application fee.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below.
- a one page personal statement which addresses:
- why you are interested in this internship
- what you hope to gain from this experience
- your professional goals
After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program. Application decisions are released two to three weeks after each deadline.
Applications are solicited through the NSF PIRE Program. Students will be notified of decision no later than February 23 by IPENG. Saturday February 24th is a mandatory study abroad orientation.
International Programs in Engineering (IPENG)
210 Engineering Hall
1308 West Green Street
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 244-0054
Hours: Mondays – Thursdays 1:00 pm - 4:00 PM (CST) Walk-ins
Otherwise by appointment, to schedule an appointment please visit https://my.engr.illinois.edu/advising/
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
Indicates that deadline has passed