Summer Break Program
"Research and Cultural Immersion"
Students will spend six weeks researching in a laboratory in Zhejiang University, and stay in a dormitory on campus. Weekly field trips will occur, giving students the opportunity to visit several companies and cultural destinations.
The City of Hangzhou
Hangzhou is the capital of the Zhejiang province with a population of 6.6 million people, and is about two hours from the city of Shanghai. It is recognized as being one of the safest cities for tourists. Marco Polo, the Italian traveler, called the city “the most beautiful and magnificent city in the world.”
Hangzhou is located at the southern wing of the Yangtze River Delta and at the west end of Hangzhou Bay, making the city a hub for transportation in southeast China. It is also known for West Lake, a freshwater lake located in the historic district. West Lake was recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2011. Hangzhou is also home to other cultural sites including historical pagodas and museums. Hangzhou has a humid subtropical climate with generally warm and mild weather; the average high from May –July is high 70s to high 80s (Fahrenheit). Hangzhou follows Beijing Standard Time, which is 13 hours ahead of Central Standard Time.
- Passport valid for 6 months after program dates and with at least two blank visa pages
- Visa may be required for non-US citizens.
- Minimum cumulative GPA: 2.75 on a 4.0 scale
- Priority will be given to students in the College of ACES and College of Engineering
The program has 3 components:
Trips: Industry trips will introduce students to industries related to their area of study. These will include company visits to Wahaha Group, modern agriculture, pumped storage power station, municipal solid waste power plant, solar PV panels, and LED lightling. Cultural trips will include destinations such as Shanghai and Beijing.
- Program will consist of 1 credit hour in Chinese language and culture (EALC 1- -). The language course will be customized for the group to include cultural lectures and field trips specifically related to their program. No prior knowledge of Mandarin is necessary.
- Program will consist of 3 credit hours of research in an internship/independent study (ACES 293; FSHN 293; ABE 397; TSM 295).
- Field trips will be taken on a weekly basis. Classes will be held Monday-Thursday, with Fridays designated as a field trip day.
Zhejiang University is a leading comprehensive research university located about 2 hours from Shanghai. Research spans 12 academic disciplines, including philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, art, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, management, etc. Zhejiang University ranks among the top 1% in 14 disciplines, in 4 of these disciplines, Zhejiang is listed in the top 100 of the world’s academic institutions, according to Essential Science Indicator (ESI).
Students will enroll in 3 credit hours of research. No prior research experience is necessary. Students will be placed in a research internship in a laboratory of Zhejiang University under the supervision of a faculty member or graduate student.
In addition to exploring the large campus of Zhejiang University, students have the opportunity to explore the vibrant nightlife in Hangzhou as well as the numerous cultural sites located throughout the city. Nanshan Lu has art galleries, cafes, and restaurants. Qinghefang Old Street is a pedestrian street with teahouses, puppet theatres, traditional medicine shops and traditional Chinese cuisine. Students can also visit the Silk Market or the Lingyin Temple, Hangzhou’s most famous Buddhist temple.
Students will explore Beijing and Shanghai during the weekend field excursions with a tour guide and a program assistant.
Students will stay on the Yuquan campus of Zhejiang University, also known as “old campus”. This campus makes special accommodations for international students and provides a welcoming environment. Students will live in one of two dorms, the Zhukezhen Hall of International Education or the No.31 Dormitory Building. Meals are served a la carte at the campus dorms. Students can also eat at the student cafeterias located on the different campuses.
For the costs associated with this program, please scroll to the top of this page and find the box labeled “Budget Sheets” and click on the term during which you want to participate. Cost includes international airfare, program and excursion costs, accommodations, and most meals. Please note that costs are subject to change based on availability of flights and land cost variability.
Financial aid can be applied to the cost of the program. The applicable amount depends on your financial aid package. For information, please visit https://www.osfa.illinois.edu/process/study-abroad or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Withdraw, Cancellation and Refund Policy
HOW TO APPLY
- Click the Apply Now button at the top-right of this page to apply. You may only apply to one program per term. Log in with your UIUC NetID and password. Once you submit the application you will be charged a non-refundable application fee.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline posted. Online materials are due by 11:59 pm (CST) on the deadline date.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications. Application decisions are released 1 to 3 weeks after each deadline.
Faculty Program Leader:
Dr. Xinlei Wang
332 AESB, MC-644
1304 W. Pennsylvania Avenue
Urbana, IL 61801
Ph: (217) 333-4446
ACES Study Abroad
123 Mumford Hall
1301 West Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 333-3380
Walk-in Advising Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays 2-4pm and Wednesdays 9:30-11: 30 am
Otherwise by appointment; to schedule an appointment please email Oliver Ferguson (email@example.com) or Jessa Barnard (firstname.lastname@example.org)