The University of Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
University of Hong Kong (HKU) offers over 300 different academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. All courses are taught in English; however, students have the option to take Chinese and Cantonese language classes. With Hong Kong the gateway to business and research in Asia, architecture, business and economics, education, engineering, science and social science, students will find the course offerings at HKU an exciting and useful complement to their academic study.
- 3.0 GPA minimum
- Sophomore or above
- No foreign language requirement for this program
- Passport valid for 6 months after program dates and with at least two blank visa pages
- Visa may be required.
HKU offers over 300 different academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. All courses are taught in english, however, students have the option to take Chinese and Cantonese language classes. With Hong Kong the gateway to business and research in Asia, and especially in China, architecture, business and economics, education, engineering, science and social science students will find the course offerings at HKU an exciting and useful complement to their academic study.
Students must have all courses pre-approved for Illinois credit through the IPENG office. Information on the course approval process and a link for the pre-approval database which contains all courses with existing UIUC course equivalents can be found at https://my.engr.illinois.edu/studyabroadcourses/.
Please note: Physics in not in Engineering at HKU.
For course information [click here].
All classes in this program will be taught in English.
LAS 291/292 Orientation Course
All accepted students must participate in various orientation meetings and enroll in an 8-week orientation course, LAS 291/292.
All credit you earn on this program will count as Illinois credit on your Illinois transcript based on the following conversion. Engineering undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better to transfer credit.
As an exchange student, you may apply for on-campus hostel facilities. [Read More]
For the costs associated with this program, please scroll to the top of this page and find the box labeled “Budget Sheets” and click on the term during which you want to participate.
Financial aid can be applied to the cost of the program. The applicable amount depends on your financial aid package. For information, please visit https://www.osfa.illinois.edu/process/study-abroad or email email@example.com.
Withdraw, Cancellation and Refund Policy
HOW TO APPLY
There is a two-step application process:
Phase 1: The University of Illinois Study Abroad Office Application:
- Click the Apply Now button at the top-right of this page to apply. You may only apply to one program per term. Log in with your UIUC netid and password. Once you start the application you will be charged a non-refundable application fee.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below.
Online materials are due by 11:59 pm (CST) on the deadline date; paper materials are due by 4:45 pm (CST) the following business day.
After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program. Application decisions are released two to three weeks after each deadline.
Phase 2: Host University Application
- If you are accepted to participate in this program, you will work with your International Programs in Engineering Study Abroad Advisor to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Once formally accepted by the host university, you will then work with the Study Abroad Advisor at the host university to coordinate all aspects of your stay such as course registration, lodging, and arrival information.
International Programs in Engineering (IPENG)
210 Engineering Hall
1308 West Green Street
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 244-0054
Hours: Mondays – Thursdays 1:00 pm - 4:00 PM (CST) Walk-ins
Otherwise by appointment, to schedule an appointment please visit https://my.engr.illinois.edu/advising/