LAS International Programs provides LAS Abroad scholarships for LAS students studying abroad on an Illinois-approved program.
AAP students should use this application as well to apply for the AAP Abroad scholarship.
Application deadlines and notification
Note: When applying, please choose the application term that corresponds with the term in which you plan to study abroad.
Students will be notified of scholarship awards around the same time they are notified of acceptance into a program.
- Sept. 15 for winter break and spring semester programs
- Feb. 15 for spring break, summer, and fall or academic year programs
- Student must be an undergraduate enrolled in the College of LAS at the time of application
- All LAS undergraduate students are eligible
Scholarship amounts range from $500 to $3,000. Awards are determined based on the cost and length of the study abroad program and availability of funds. Average scholarship amounts are as follows:
- Short-term (one to eight weeks): $500 to $1,000
- Semester: $1,500 to $2,000
- Academic year: $2,000 to $3,000
Scholarship application components
- Short essay questions
- Statement of financial need
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member or academic advisor
Applications are reviewed by an LAS scholarship committee comprised of three professional staff members. Applications are reviewed separately for short-term and semester-based programs.
Preference will be given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Students planning to study on an LAS program
- Students who have not previously studied abroad
- Students who clearly articulate how their chosen study abroad program will support their academic and professional goals
- Students who have not previously received an LAS Abroad scholarship
LAS will apply scholarships to student accounts as follows:
- Winter break and fall semester awards: Mid-November
- Spring break and spring semester awards: Mid-February
- Summer break: Mid-May
Scholarship award requirements
Students must complete the below requirements to remain in good standing and keep their LASA scholarship.
- Attend all required pre-departure course meetings, workshops, orientation sessions. For semester and academic year students, fulfill all LAS 291 requirements.
- Maintain full-time study
- Bring back equivalent full-time credit hours
- Semester and academic year students must complete all required LAS 292 requirements
UPON RETURNING TO ILLINOIS
- Complete LAS Program Evaluation
- Volunteer for your study abroad program. This is a commitment of four hours of volunteer time working with LAS International Programs. Examples of volunteer activities include working at a study abroad fair, helping with info sessions for your study abroad program, or volunteering in the Life + Career Design Lab)
- Complete final scholarship project—choose from the following options:
- Write a short essay (500 to 750 words) on the topic of "Now that you have studied abroad, what aspect(s) of your experience do you think will be most impactful on your personal, academic and career paths?"
- Create a Study Abroad Profile for LAS IP to share on our website, fliers, and other materials. The profile must include the following:
- Your name, major field of study
- Study abroad program/host university, city and country
- Two or three photos from your time abroad, featuring the host university, classrooms/labs, living quarters, host family (if applicable), field experience, program excursions
- Two quotes (one to three sentences each) about your study abroad experience, covering you you learned about yourself, and your host culture/people, how your study abroad will influence your academic and career plans
FINAL PROJECT DEADLINES
- Spring semester or spring break: May 30
- Summer: Aug. 30
- Fall semester or winter break: Jan. 30
Email final projects to LAS International Programs
by 11:59 p.m. on the deadline.